Photo Credit: Don Tanguilig
What: Embassy Chef Challenge
When: May 25, 2016 | 6:30 PM
Where: Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004
More Info: eventsdcembassychefchallenge.com
Want to take a culinary tour around the world, but don’t quite have the million frequent flyer miles that it would take to get you there? Luckily, Events DC has partnered with Cultural Tourism DC (a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization) to satisfy your mouth’s craving for world domination.
In its eighth year, Embassy Chef Challenge features 19 global culinary representatives from South America, Asia, Africa, and Europe, along with a solid showing from the Caribbean nations. Chefs compete for not only the Judge’s Prize (awarded by local chefs and food writers), but also the coveted People’s Choice Award based on attendee votes.
Here’s an amuse–bouche (in list form) of what you might taste at the event:
- Filipino Bringhe (savory seafood paella made with sticky rice and coconut milk)
- Rum-Infused “Painkiller” Cocktail from the British Virgin Islands
- Guatemalan Gazpacho del Enchilada
- Bacon-Wrapped Duck Pâté from the Czech Republic
- Uzbek Plov (hearty lamb and rice pilaf)
- Ghanaian Black-Eyed Pea and Shrimp Fritters.
- Arabic Coffee from Qatar
As you taste the world, you’ll also be surrounded by a vibrant atmosphere with live music and plenty of dancing. It’s sure to be a fun–and delicious–celebration of diversity and global cultures!
And seriously, it’s not like you have anything better to do on a Wednesday night, right?